Comox Valley welcomes Flavour: The North Island’s Gourmet Picnic on Sept. 23
What: Flavour: The North Island’s Gourmet Picnic is a foodie-focused and family-friendly festival designed to showcase Comox Valley’s world class culinary and agriculture industry. Organized by the North Island College Foundation with the support of the North Vancouver Island Chefs’ Association, this inaugural event will allow guests to sample a delicious array of local food and beverage offerings while they enjoy live entertainment and the grounds of Coastal Black Estate Winery & Meadery.
Why: The Comox Valley Region has more than 450 farms and is known around the world for its diverse culinary bounty from farmland to sea. It is also becoming known for its talented chefs, great restaurants and increasing number of award-winning wines. Proceeds from the event will be directed towards scholarships and bursaries for North Island College Culinary Arts students, the North Vancouver Island Chefs’ Association and the Farmers’ Market Association.
When: Sunday, Sept. 23, 2012 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Coastal Black Estate, 2186 Endall Road, Black Creek, BC.
Available for interviews and photo opportunities:
- Chef Garrett Schack, executive chef at Vista 18 and host of YUM television series.
- Live entertainment by James & Johnson and Anela Kahiamoe.
- Photo opportunities of a variety of chefs, demonstrations, displays, produce, tastings, entertainment.
Tickets are limited and must be purchased in advance by calling the NIC Foundation at 250-334-5000 extension 4039 or 4267. For more information, visit www.gourmetpicnic.ca.
- An event shuttle for a $2 donation will be available from both the Campbell River and the Comox Valley, North Island College (NIC) campuses. Departure location: NIC campus bus loop:
- Departure from NIC to Coastal Black Winery: 12:30 p.m.
- Departure from Coastal Black Winery to NIC: 4:15 p.m.
- Reservations required (on or before Sept. 20 by 4 p.m.) by phone: 250-334-500 extension 4039 or 4267 or email email@example.com
- Parking is available, but limited. Access to event parking at Coastal Black Winery will be off Kelland Road.
- It is strongly encouraged that guests car pool or take the event shuttle.
- An ATM will be set up on-site, but it is recommended to bring cash for purchasing goods for sale.
- Guests are encouraged to please leave pets at home.
- For information while in the Comox Valley, visit the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre to speak with a Visitor Information Counsellor and to pick up one of the locally produced maps featuring biking trails.