As one one of the most innovative cocktail programs in Canada, The Refinery is proud to start the third segment of a six month interactive and educational competition called “The Cocktail Kitchen Series”. Launched on July 8th 2010, “The Cocktail Kitchen Series” aims to promote niche craft cocktail development, through the expertise of Vancouver’s best veteran and up and coming bartenders who have demonstrated creativity and leadership in their cocktail craft, as well as being the best in their field as “restaurant bartenders”.
Here is the premise of the program:
Each month, a bartender is paired with a different spirit, and a different country – this will be repeated 4 times a month with a different bartender each Thursday. Guests are invited to come down and experience the interactive teachings of the featured bartender, who will attempt to effectively pair the featured country’s menu, with a set of three cocktail using the base spirit. Plus, there’s another spin: the bartenders will shop at The Refinery – it is mandatory that each cocktail include a Refinery house bitters. One week prior their Cocktail Kitchen, the bartender will be able to score 1 oz x 3 types of bitters/vermouths available at the Refinery for cocktail testing. The Refinery’s Bitters Program inventory sits at 24 types as of today (September 03 2010).
Concept & Rules:
– 3 cocktails, submitted at least 48 hours in advance – including methods, names, recipes
– The cocktails will be paired to the featured 3 course tapas-style dinner, the menu of which bartenders will know about 1 week earlier
– Each cocktail must include a Refinery bitters/vermouth/tincture
– Each Thursday, guests will be given a score card, rating the bartender in the following criteria:
* Delivery: Knowledge, Speed, Presence, Showmanship, Inspiration, Passion
* Grand Prize each month
– Bartenders will change monthly, giving most an opportunity to participate in the program
– Bartenders will be given a bar tab just for participating, and gift from the monthly liquor sponsor
– The winning bartender will be invited back to participate the following month during week 4
– The end of the sixth month, and seemingly covering 6 different regions/countries and spirits, the bartender with the most wins will receive a grand prize trip to Napa Valley, provided by the owners Ray, Peter and Ryan of the Refinery and SIP Resto Lounge Granville Street (additionally a guest ballot will be pulled at the end of the series and they’ll be winning a trip too!)
– This is a 6 month long promotion and contest – BUT we do not take time off – we keep going every 6 months
$32 per guest plus all applicable taxes and gratuities- Runs from 7:00pm – 9:30pm every Thursday evening
42 seats available each week. Tickets are available through the Refinery by calling 604-687-8001
* July 2010 – Region: CENTRAL AMERICA
* August 2010 – FRANCE
* September 2010 – Region: INDIA
* October 2010 – ITALY
* November 2010 – THE WEST INDIES
* December 2010 – SOUTHERN US BBQ
* January 2011 – Region: EASTERN EUROPE – Bartender Showdown
* January – June 2011 – Countries and Spirits to be determined
Thurs Sept 02 – Lauren Mote (Refinery)
Thurs Sept 09 – Jacob Sweetapple (The Fairmont Pacific Rim)
Thurs Sept 16 – Danielle Tatarin (The Keefer Bar)
Thurs Sept 23 – Justin Tisdale (Market/Chambar)
Thurs Sept 30 – David Wolowidnyk (West Restaurant)
**Bartender profiles can be seen at www.therefineryvancouver.com/restaurant/cocktail_kitchen
INDIA VS. BOMBAY SAPPHIRE GIN, proudly sponsored by Bacardi Canada Ltd.
India Menu: (by Ben de Champlain)
Onion and lentil fritters with grilled pineapple and tamarind chutney.
Indian spice roasted tomato soup with lentils, black chickpeas, spinach and fennel, with a gin paneer.
Cashew & coconut curry with potatoes and cauliflower, with a green bean and fresh herb salad.
In the last year, we have had over 40 articles written about us and our specialties, above and beyond business listings. We urge you to check out website under “Press” to see for yourself how representing your bar/restaurant with the Cocktail Kitchen Series at The Refinery is best for business. Each week we will have 2 different media personalities in attendance, as well as a film crew and/or photographer. The press releases we write are reaching more than just local restaurant industry news. We also do radio segments, TV spots, and reach a broad range of national and international publications, not to mention the persuasive and domineering food and beverage blog industry here and across the globe. As a bartender, this is an excellent avenue to raise your profile in the municipal and national community.