As one one of the most innovative cocktail programs in Canada, The Refinery is proud to start the second segment of a six month interactive and educational competition called “The Cocktail Kitchen Series”. Launched on July 8th 2010, “The Cocktail Kitchen Series” aims to promote niche craft cocktail development, through the expertise of Vancouver’s best veteran and up and coming bartenders who have demonstrated creativity and leadership in their cocktail craft.
Here is the premise of the program:
Each month, a bartender is paired with a different spirit, and a different country – this will be repeated 4 times a month with a different bartender each Thursday. Guests are invited to come down and experience the interactive teachings of the featured bartender, who will attempt to effectively pair the featured country’s menu, with a set of three cocktail using the base spirit. Plus, there’s another spin: the bartenders will shop at The Refinery – it is mandatory that each cocktail include a Refinery house bitters. One week prior their Cocktail Kitchen, the bartender will be able to score 1 oz x 3 types of bitters/vermouths available at the Refinery for cocktail testing. The Refinery’s Bitters Program inventory sits at 19 types as of today.
Concept & Rules:
– 3 cocktails, submitted at least 48 hours in advance – including methods, names, recipes
– The cocktails will be paired to the featured 3 course tapas-style dinner, the menu of which bartenders will know about 1 week earlier
– Each cocktail must include a Refinery bitters/vermouth/tincture
– Each Thursday, guests will be given a score card, rating the bartender in the following criteria:
* Delivery: Knowledge, Speed, Presence, Showmanship, Inspiration, Passion
* Grand Prize each month
– Bartenders will change monthly, giving most an opportunity to participate in the program
– Bartenders will be given a bar tab just for participating, and gift from the monthly liquor sponsor
– The winning bartender will be invited back to participate the following month during week 4
– The end of the sixth month, and seemingly covering 6 different regions/countries and spirits, the bartender with the most wins will receive a grand prize trip to Napa Valley, provided by the owners Ray, Peter and Ryan of the Refinery and SIP Resto Lounge Granville Street.
– This is a 6 month long promotion and contest – BUT we do not take time off – we keep going every 6 months
$30 per guest (Includes tax and gratuity)
40 seats available each week. Tickets are available through the Refinery by calling 604-687-8001
* July 2010 – Region: CENTRAL AMERICA
* August 2010 – FRANCE
* September 2010 – Region: SOUTH EAST ASIA
* October 2010 – ITALY
* November 2010 – THE WEST INDIES
* December 2010 – INDIA
* January 2011 – Region: EASTERN EUROPE – Bartender Showdown
* January – June 2011 – Countries and Spirits to be determined
August 05, Week 1: TREVOR KALLIES (Granville Room)
August 12, Week 2: JAY JONES (Barjonesing Consulting)
August 19, Week 3: BEN DE CHAMPLAIN (The Refinery)
August 26, Week 4: JUSTIN TISDALL (Market at the Shangrai-La)
In the last year, we have had over 40 articles written about us and our specialties, above and beyond business listings. We urge you to check out website under “Press” to see for yourself how representing your bar/restaurant with the Cocktail Kitchen Series at The Refinery is best for business. Each week we will have 2 different media personalities in attendance, as well as a film crew and photographer. The press releases we write are reaching more than just Scout Magazine and Urban Diner for local restaurant industry news. We also do radio segments, TV spots, and reach a broad range of national and international publications, not to mention the persuasive and domineering food and beverage blog industry here and across the globe. As a bartender, this is an excellent avenue to raise your profile in the municipal and national community.
Additionally, if you are a bartender reading this, and wondering how you can get involved, please email Lauren Mote at email@example.com. Subject should read: “Cocktail Kitchen Series Bartender” – copy and paste the following into the body of the message, and fill out the questionnaire – we are booking in advance up until January 2011.
Which Bar(s)/Restaurant(s) are you representing?
How long have you been in the Industry?
Please include a short 250-400 word bio about yourself:
What’s your bartending style?
Do you have a preference of which country and spirit you’d like to be paired up with in a perfect world?
Please include a pic of yourself!