A family event for all ages, the UBC Apple Festival celebrates one of British Columbia’s favourite fruits. From children learning about the diversity of apples to those who remember tasting heritage apples in their youth, the Apple Festival is a great opportunity to not only discover more about this delicious fruit, but have a whole lot of fun doing it!
Apples and Apple Tree Cultivars for Sale
- This year, around 54,000 lbs (24,400 kilos) of apples are sold to thousands of apple lovers.
- More than 70 varieties of heritage, new and “tried and true” varieties are available, grown both conventionally and organically.
- Heritage apples ‘Grimes Golden’ ‘Bramley’s Seedling’, ‘Cox’s Orange Pippin’ and many others will be on sale; also new varieties like the very popular ‘Ambrosia’ which was hybridized in Cawston, British Columbia, and Salish which was introduced in 2012.
- 100 or more varieties of Apple trees grafted onto dwarfing root stock, perfect for the home garden or patio, will be available.
- Pears and Quince will also be available in limited amounts.
Apple Tasting Tent – One of the most popular activities at the Apple Festival is our apple tasting tent located on the Main Lawn.
- 60 varieties of new and heritage apples grown in British Columbia.
- Friends of the Garden “published in-house” Apple Booklet, available for purchase at the event listing the history, propagation needs and features of more than 100 varieties.
- Tasting sessions from 11:00am to 3:30pm Saturday and Sunday
- Tickets $5.00 available outside the tasting tent
- Please note that not all the apples in the tasting tent will be available for sale due to very limited availability of some heritage varieties.
BC Fruit Testers Association hosts a physical display of the nearly 200 apple varieties that are still grown in British Columbia.