#ccc2014 @goldmedalplates Chefs from across Canada will meet in Kelowna from February 7-8, 2014 to compete in the Gold Medal Plates Canadian Culinary Championships. Each year I interview them some questions prior to the challenge. Here is the scoop from Chef Danny St. Pierre from Auguste Restaurant Sherbrooke.
What was your first food memory?
* potatoes and a ton of salted butter
What was in your elementary school lunch kit?
* a lot of processed food..
Where did you first learn to cook?
* In a steakhouse w an old school Swiss trained Israeli chef with a nack w food costs and recycling
Did you attend culinary school – if so, where?
* ITHQ in Montreal in a superior cuisine degree in 1998
Where has been your favourite place to work to date and why?
* Toqué, where I met my friend and tag team partner for GMP Myriam Pelletier, we learned so much
What is your favourite style of cooking?
*Honest and strait forward
What is your favourite ethnic cuisine?
What is your favourite family recipe?
* scalloped potatoes
What ingredient(s) can’t you live without?
What are the most essential tools for cooking?
What basic recipe/s do you advise for cooking novices to learn as a starting point?
* Work within your skill set, simple is hard to do, devil is in the details
What’s your favourite cocktail?
*old fashioned w bourbon
Do you have a guilty pleasure?
What’s your definition of a perfect meal?
* balance between ambiance, swift diner pace, multi course variety and excellent execution
How do you unwind after service?
Most overrated food trend?
* nothing is overrated when well executed
Favourite culinary destination?
Most memorable meal last year?
*a Texas soul food extravaganza at my good friend’s Nick Hodge (and co competitor) restaurant Icehouse the hi light chicken fried ham sandwich w home made frito pie
If you weren’t a chef what career would you have pursued?
* taxi driver w road rage and impolite driving
What would you eat at your last meal?
* a big, fatty Montreal smoked meat sandwich
What do you do in your off time?
* what off time…
What is the dish/dishes your restaurant is known for?
Calf’s liver w bacon potatoes, boudin noir w hazelnut risotto, inverted poutine, pudding Chomeur
What dish will you be cooking for Gold Medal Plates?
*warm beef salad with beets, croutons and quail egg
Why did you choose the particular wine/beer pairing for the dish?
* we started from the wines (Carone’s Venice a nice Cabernet severgny from Quebec) characteristics
Who have you brought with you to assist?
*Myriam Pelletier see above
For the black box competition are there any strategies that you will employ to succeed?
* Make it fast
Who do you see as the toughest competitor this year?
*eveybody is a threat!