Chef Ned Bell is all about sustainable seafood and is devoted to spreading the word about chosing Ocean Wise products. If we want to continue having healthy seas, this really is the only choice. At Yew Restaurant + Bar the menu is heavy on the seafood and one of the items we’ve tasted and loved are these Dungeness Crab Tacos. Our friends Avocados From Mexico are also featured in this recipe, which is wonderful paired up with a glass of BC Riesling.
Dungeness Crab Tacos
SERVES 2 (3 small tacos)
Juice and zest of 1 lime, divided
2 tbsp (30 mL) miso paste
2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup (may be substituted with honey)
1 cup (250 mL) canola oil
1 ripe avocado
Freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup (180 mL) fresh cooked Dungeness crab
6 crispy wonton shells
2 radishes, thinly shaved
1/2 cup (125 mL) radish sprouts
Togarashi spice (Japanese chili powder with nori, sesame & orange zest)
- Set aside 1 tsp (5 mL) of lime juice for the avocado.
- Mix remaining lemon juice with lime zest, miso paste, mustard, maple syrup,
- Canola oil in a blender to make the dressing.
- Mash avocado with a fork.
- Season with 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix about 1/4 cup (60 mL) dressing into the crab meat and taste, adjusting as needed. Refrigerate the remaining dressing for up to two weeks—it is great on salads.
- Put crab-meat mixture into the wonton shells so they are bursting with crab meat.
- Spoon the avocado mixture onto a plate and place assembled tacos on top.
- Garnish with radish slices and sprouts.
- Garnish with Togarashi spice